What a great way to get the season started by having beautiful green seedling on your window sill.
On March 14th, we will be offering a workshop on starting indoor seed starting. This hands-on pratical workshop will give you the tools to start the season. Starting your own plants from seed is fun, fascinating and a great way to save money on plants for your garden. As well as getting a jump on the short Montreal growing season, starting seeds gives you access to growing a wide variety of unusual, new or heirloom plants that are not readily available at most garden centres or big box stores.
In this two-hour workshop, in addition to learning tips, techniques and tools helpful in seed starting, you will learn how to:
- choose appropriate seeds for your garden
- understand the difference between heirloom, hybrid and GMO seeds
- start vegetables, herbs, edible flowers and fruit
- prepare soil mix, understand plant needs and soil fertility
- water, provide proper temperature and lighting
- transplant and troubleshoot
At the end of the workshop, participants will receive their own tray of seeds they will have started during the workshop, a handout on seed-starting tips, as well as a package of seeds to start at a later date. There will be seeds, soil, lighting and other seed starting supplies available for purchase.